Henrietta MercerAge: 92 years17621854

Henrietta Mercer
Given names
Also known as
Henny Uesser
Birth 1762 44

MarriageJohn GloverView this family
1795 (Age 33 years)
Death 1854 (Age 92 years)

Burial 1854 (on the date of death)
Journal of Robert Dickson Glover (1848-1940)

Henrietta's grandson, Robert Dickson Glover (1848-1940) kept a diary in which he wrote the following story:

John Glover and Henrietta Uesser (Mercer).

My grandfather and grandmother, first heard of by me as crofters on Pentland Moor, at Plover Hall, on Bilston Burn near Roslin, where their children were born, afterwards, removed to the Red House near Bilston Toll on main road to Penicuik. Now removed and no trace of either of these houses left.

The husband’s character has come down to us without distinction. The rumour is that he was specially lazy. They kept a horse cart which came under his charge and so walking was eliminated from his exercises. He was never known to have had his coat off at work but once on a hot day in harvest field behind his wife shearing. He bound a few sheaves and made a seat for himself. I never saw this relation who was in a way an important item in this record.

The wife, dear old Henny Uesser, was of a different mould and build and character, she must have been a strong lady for she did all the work about the place, worked on the croft, tended all the animals about the place, ploughed, sowed and gathered, fed the cattle, pigs, hens and thrashed the corn with the flail and kept the home fires burning.

She was a champion shearer with the hook in the harvest field in all the country round.

I remember old grannie quite well when she was a very very old woman and bedridden. I often saw her, when on a visit to Auntie Mary's on a Sunday afternoon, with father and mother where the old lady lived and ended her days at Roslin Gunpowder Works. I attended her funeral from Roslin Gunpowder Works to St Matthew's Kirk Yard, Roslin. The Coffin was in a big room and I a very little boy sat in the van beside the Coffin and I don't remember any fear or discomfort so near the remains. When the funeral arrived at the White House at the head of the Vennel, the coffin was taken out of the van and carried to the churchyard on stalks and I followed with the mourners but I wasn't dressed for the occasion.

To show her wonderful grit and force of character, a story is told of her that when a near relation was ill, she started out and walked over the hills from Bilston to Rutherglen and returned kept along a similar route. In those days there were no conveniences and were not needed as people had legs and not spindle shanks as now. Besides there was no money or very little. It was a case of travelling, of bread and cheese in your wallet and a drink of spring water from the brook by the wayside.