A former coal mining town in Auchterderran Parish. It is situated on a ridge between Loch Ore and Loch Gelly and is the highest town in Fife .
It became a police burgh in 1876.
The town gave its name to the locally manufactured leather “tawse”, “strap” or “belt” which was once used to administer corporal punishment to schoolchildren. The “Lochgelly” has now become something of a collector’s item.